Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I just want you to want me; I don’t need you to need me.


…And if you need me to need you, you’re barking up the wrong damn tree. 

Years ago, I learned that if you rely too much on a man, one day you’ll find yourself out in the cold trying to build a life from scratch.  And it fucking sucks.  I stayed far too long with someone who was toxic largely because I was young and madly in love, but also partly because if I left, where would I go?
 I never wanted to find myself there again, so eventually I found myself on my current career trajectory.  And I’m good at it.  Promotions are coming faster than predicted and I’m damn good at what I do.  I’ve worked hard to get where I am and I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished.  I visited four motherfucking continents last year for work.  I have a two bedroom house with wood floors, a basement, and a washer and dryer.  I have investments bitches.
Trouble is, men like to see themselves in the rescuer/protector role.  They want to be the provider.  They want to ride in like Prince Charming to rescue the damsel in distress.  Above all else, they do NOT want to be rescued themselves.  No matter how dire their situation or how far a simple helping hand can help them reach their own goals.  Some men would rather go down in flames than accept help from a woman who was once in their shoes.



Well fuck those guys.  I’m not giving up my independence for a dude again and I'm not apologizing for being successful.  I like going to a restaurant or movie by myself.   I’ve had a great time in Vegas alone.  Maybe next time I’m due for a vacation, I’ll see New York, or London, or maybe I’ll run a marathon in Australia or Hawaii by myself.  Who knows?  Perhaps I’ll even brush up on my German and head to Berlin?  Achtung  baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment